Thread: Exoplanet: First Contact (3D Action/RPG)

Default Exoplanet: First Contact (3D Action/RPG) [Greenlit]

Hi!

I'm very exited to present you our indie Action/RPG game called "Exoplanet: First Contact" that is focused on single-player experience, like old good Morrowind and Gothic for instance.

The game is set in a Space Western universe.
    In Exoplanet: FC we have brought together distinctive elements of Wild West, futuristic technologies and feudal society of a distant human colony, placed on a wild and dangerous planet named K'Tarsis.

If you're interested, please check more info on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/exoplanet-first-contact or post comments here.

Subscribe to be informed about all updates and news! (This thread will also be updated)
    Official Site: http://alersteam.com
    IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/exoplanet-first-contact
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/alersteam
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/alersteam
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/alersteam

I will be glad to answer your questions!
    Last edited by false3d; 08-20-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Looks great!
    Well done and good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bram View Post
    Looks great!
    Well done and good luck with your project.
    Thanks! =)

Gorgeous environment.

You need to find somebody to clean up your English - your English communication skills will negatively impact your projects success.

Character animation seemed a little stiff - not by indie. standards but relative to the very high bar you have set with your environment.

Is this your shops first title? That seemed like an art demo reel more than a game play demo, I hope you have the team to bring that game to life.

I am very glad you liked our environment!

It is our first project. We spend a lot of time with many experiments and tests to study how to make good environments.
    Of course we are on very low step in level design, however we will try to do more interesting locations.
    We have many ideas! =)

In contrast to this video, we will demonstrate gameplay next time.

PS: Sorry for my poor English, I'll try to write with less errors.

What platforms are you targeting?

The environments are indeed truly beautiful, and surely they are authored by a modeler, as opposed to being procedurally generated?

Your sahara engine does some impressive rendering. You wrote your own shaders? just vertex/fragment or also geometry shaders?
    OpenGL based? DirectX?

Bram

Quote Originally Posted by Bram View Post
    What platforms are you targeting?

The environments are indeed truly beautiful, and surely they are authored by a modeler, as opposed to being procedurally generated?

Your sahara engine does some impressive rendering. You wrote your own shaders? just vertex/fragment or also geometry shaders?
    OpenGL based? DirectX?

Bram
    The Environments are absolutely hand made, not auto-generated.
    When we work on landscapes in our game, we use for inspiration some references from real life as well as some amazing artwork of professional artists and photographers.
    I suppose, it's impossible to reach such quality of environment design using auto-generation of the landscapes.

PC Windows is our primary target platform, however if we get enough pre-orders we'll develop MAC and Linux versions.
    In any case, the Sahara Engine is based on OpenGL, so it can be ported to these platforms.

Currently we use only Vertex and Fragment shaders, specially developed for our game.
    Also we plan use Geometry shaders in future.

looks very professional and huge! if the gameplay is also good, it will be a great success!!! congrats
    Electronic, Hard House, Film Music
    88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums
    And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

Thank you! =)

Jack Sharp (Main Character)

You start your adventures on K’Tharsis as Jack Sharp, a space nomad and skilled gunslinger, who was unfortunate enough to land on this remote and dangerous planet.

Jack does not talk much about his past, he is mostly concerned about his present. Oh his old but sturdy freighter starship he roams the borders of the Known Space in search for work and loot sometimes going beyond the law.

He may seem to be a lazy and phlegmatic lad, even a simple-minded person, but first impression is deceptive. Behind this mask he hides keen intellect and explosive temper. All sort of conflicts and adventures make him shine. Jack likes to risk and needs some challenge to show his best features. Actually his big ego and thirst for money could have already caused his death many times if there were no phenomenal luck on his side. His tongue is quick but so are his hands: Jack never hesitates to make his guns an ultimate argument in a hard conversation. Sometimes he is a real badass.

However Jack is rather an antihero and the last thing he is thinking about is to save other people lives and doing things for free, he has his own code of honor and couldn't be called a real scoundrel.

After his arrival on K’Tharsis our hero has lost his starship and was enslaved by some criminals. Jack must recover his freedom and avenge his foes. He must explore the dangerous planet and its darkest secrets and become a part of epic events and fascinating stories!

Looking good, like others said the environments look great, the storyline/setting is also intriging.

Looking forward to more!
    My Indie 3D space sim: Void Destroyer

We've launched our site: http://alersteam.com !

FINALLY !!! =)
    Last edited by false3d; 05-08-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Hello!

Announce for new gun:

See details here: http://alersteam.com/blog/en/

The most dangerous weapon ever!

Type 67 Assault Rifle is one of the most popular and reliable weapons in Human Space. Though it is has been replaced with more advanced designs and models in the old and rich Core Worlds, its clones and modifications are being manufactured in vast numbers on more then 200 frontier planets of humanity. It is considered that T67 and its “family” have killed more humans and natives than any weapon in the history of human Expansion.

Read more...

Hello to all!

I'm happy to present our new video:

It's about one interesting aspect of gameplay: Kamikadze Bug!
    Do you like it?

I do like it! The environments look great, and I love the idea of showing it through the eyes of the biter bug. Looking forward to seeing the combat in action.

Thanks! =)
    In next video we will show battle scenes!

Awesome "bug climbing over the rocks" anim/physics
    My Indie 3D space sim: Void Destroyer

Default oh its great

Sorry, what you mean?

Looks great. Have you watched starship troopers?

Could see this doing well on kickstarter. Donate x amount you get a model of a bug

Quote Originally Posted by chaosavy View Post
    Awesome "bug climbing over the rocks" anim/physics
    Thanks! Main hero will use bug to reach places that he (hero) can't, and this is one of such examples =)

Quote Originally Posted by Finpecia View Post
    Sorry, what you mean?
    Is it for me? =)

Quote Originally Posted by manimani View Post
    Looks great. Have you watched starship troopers?

Could see this doing well on kickstarter. Donate x amount you get a model of a bug
    I like Starship Troopers movie, it inspired us in different ways!
    Idea with donation for bug model is very interesting ;-)
    Hovewer we can't use Kickstarter ;(. For this reason we made preorder page on our site for people who want to support us.
    Also we plan to go to indiegogo.com a bit later...

Screen from wip process, click here for more details

Just released new post about dev process: http://alersteam.com/blog/en/2012/07/tech-diary_1/

Wow, looks fantastic. I love scifi, particularly about visiting alien planets.
    Very cool. I will be keeping an eye on this one.

Thanks!
    We will keep up to date this thread.

By the way, we are currently working on new post about characters and dialogs in our game. See our last blog posts here: www.alersteam.com

Here is post about character development and gameplay nonlinearity in Exoplanet: First Contact.

Check it out here

Hey Guys!
    It was time I posted here...

Check out our new gameplay video:

Default We are back!

Hey guys!

Long time no see. First of all, we didn't abandon the project. And we are sorry for lazy arse who forgot 'bout this blog for two years.

Secondary, I want to tell you that we have passed Steam Greenlight and workin' hard for beta. At the moment we have alpha build #13. Soon we will tell you 'bout it. But besides that we have so other updates to share. I guess we can skip the old ones and move to the latests. So let's rock!

Nomads — another reason to fear for your life

People of Brennigan’s Landing who value their lives leave the city walls only when it is absolutely necessary and, of course, always armed . The reason for this precaution is not only wild animals, but also the Nomads.

Their culture was formed more than five hundred years ago. These freedom-loving inhabitants of the desert were among those who arrived to K’Tharsis during “the rush”, attracted by rumors of inexhaustible veins of antigravium, hoping to snatch a big jackpot. But, as often happens during the development of wild planets, Fortune favoured only the few luckyones, and other settlers became wage workers for the newly emerged magnates. Those, in their turn, could not survive the competition with organized machine of resource extraction corporations devouring human and natural resources at a frightening speed.

READ MORE

Steel giants — Terraform's heritage

Wandering K’Tharsis a traveller could find a number of a traces of that incredible scope which had the process of initial colonization of the planet. Huge constructions and ingenious mechanisms created and abandoned by people are now slowly decaying monuments of excessive ambitions of the human race.

When reserves of antigravium were discovered on K’Tharsis, corporations turned their greedy eyes and decided to settle here permanently. The largest one — Terraform — created a programm named «Vita Nova», whose main aim was to turn this desert planet into a blooming paradise. One of the most important roles was played by atmospheric stations built by the corporation. It was a huge air-conditioners that used to reduce air temperature and to increase its humidity and also to change a composition of air for more familiar for humans. Around them was created workers settlements for service staff which wasn’t just watch the stations efficiency but planted around the base a samples of the most unpretentious and genetically modified plants from Terra.

READ MORE

How not to get lost in inventory, poll results and mini-games in Exoplanet: First Contact

We have a pretty strange tradition: one poll in a year. Thus, we asked you about user interface in Exoplanet: First Contact in 2012, then in 2013 — about inventory. But it is already middle of 2014, and it means that lazy arse like me should summarize some things and create something new.

First of all, polls are going to be more often. But before we can move on to the next one, let us talk about distribution of votes and solutions for inventory system. You can see on the screenshot how inventory looks right now. I guess you’re understand why we need to change it. That is why we asked you: «What inventory do you want to see in Exoplanet?»

READ MORE

«Living hills» of K’Tharsis

Among the many attractions on K’Tharsis that shows anyone for reasonable cost there is something that locals call «living hills». In fact, these structures are nothing but nests of Silpha Alatum beetles (wingless carrion). Constructed in a special way, they are able to cool subterranean dwelling, allowing these insects to survive in the extreme conditions of the desert. The central tower of the colonies can reach fifty feet tall, sometimes more, and underground tunnels can extend for many miles around.

READ MORE

Default Exoplanet: First Contact. Alpha build #13. Gameplay video.

While we workin’ hard on Exoplanet: First Contact we decided to introduce you some changes. New alpha is not just ’bout approvin’ some elements of the game but new features. Your opinion, ideas and questions are always welcome. Have a nice trip!

Details, full changelog and link to download alpha (for the ones who preordered Exoplanet: First Contact) are HERE.

You can also follow us on Facebook.