I've wrote a lengthy blog post explaining this idea, and since I got some great feedback I thought to share the idea here.
In a nutshell, the key idea is to: sell tons of indie games next Xmas - and "beat those bastard AAA games this xmas - or at least nudge them a bit"
A bit more detailed explanation goes:
- 100% of the sales go to indies, no middlemen.
- A "indie games" dedicated "portal" (or site) is set up this xmas
- bit of volunteer work is probably needed to get the site up (I can do much, but probably need help with graphics and things)
- The site will promote only indie games (we are thinking what platforms should be allowed and if there's need to accept also "upcoming" trailers)
- I have a server available that should be able to take the capacity (and if it explodes, then I can beg some dollars from sales or something)
- there's discussion going on how to handle this
- and no, I won't turn this into "what's an indie" discussion. people who feel that they are indies and have indie game can participate. period. platforms etc. is to be decided.
- the site will be hyped, promoted and all with various ways (think of digg, major websites, press release, blog posts, emails etc.)... including (hopefully if possible) also those who participate. In any way we can.
- what's the catch: to help sell indie games (mine included - with no special treatment for my game or for those who will join "operate" this xmas campaign, all profits/sales/money goes to indies who participate)
Now... the bottom line is: would you be interested in helping sell your game this xmas? And would you have ideas on how to go on with this. (feel free to discuss here, I'll link here from the original blog post)
All ideas, help and comments (and games) are welcome.
Please notice: this was just a funky idea I got yesterday morning, and the concept is definitely not finished yet... but we'll try to keep this simple & sweet and help promote indie games this xmas. With no middlemen.