Thread: Indie Xmas campaign... let's promote (your) indie games together

Default Indie Xmas campaign... let's promote (your) indie games together

I've wrote a lengthy blog post explaining this idea, and since I got some great feedback I thought to share the idea here.

In a nutshell, the key idea is to: sell tons of indie games next Xmas - and "beat those bastard AAA games this xmas - or at least nudge them a bit"

A bit more detailed explanation goes:
    - 100% of the sales go to indies, no middlemen.
    - A "indie games" dedicated "portal" (or site) is set up this xmas
    - bit of volunteer work is probably needed to get the site up (I can do much, but probably need help with graphics and things)
    - The site will promote only indie games (we are thinking what platforms should be allowed and if there's need to accept also "upcoming" trailers)
    - I have a server available that should be able to take the capacity (and if it explodes, then I can beg some dollars from sales or something)
    - there's discussion going on how to handle this
    - and no, I won't turn this into "what's an indie" discussion. people who feel that they are indies and have indie game can participate. period. platforms etc. is to be decided.
    - the site will be hyped, promoted and all with various ways (think of digg, major websites, press release, blog posts, emails etc.)... including (hopefully if possible) also those who participate. In any way we can.
    - what's the catch: to help sell indie games (mine included - with no special treatment for my game or for those who will join "operate" this xmas campaign, all profits/sales/money goes to indies who participate)

Now... the bottom line is: would you be interested in helping sell your game this xmas? And would you have ideas on how to go on with this. (feel free to discuss here, I'll link here from the original blog post)

All ideas, help and comments (and games) are welcome.

Please notice: this was just a funky idea I got yesterday morning, and the concept is definitely not finished yet... but we'll try to keep this simple & sweet and help promote indie games this xmas. With no middlemen.

Hi,

Yes it is a good idea to develop an Indie Xmas campaign because sales are difficults...

If i had a game that wasn't going onto an exclusive portal this christmas (XLIG), I'd definitely be interested. I've been thinking it would be in everyone's best interest to have an indie managed and somewhat altruistic portal for quite some time now (where the focus is more on greater profits for everyone and not so much for the portal itself, beyond administration costs), and where each indie had greater control over how their game is marketed (they control the price, they don't have to pay for promotion, etc).

Altruism tends to be difficult beast to tame, though.
    Brian Cable. Released Proximity 2 on the iPhone, and some flash games. Produced several console games.

Where is the page going to be at? (url, page name, etc)

Are you going to have all the games in a database and then randomize the game order every visit to the page? (Would be the most fair.)

Title, thumbnail, desc, download url, buynow url, per game?

We (a bunch of iPhone developers) did this for new years:

http://www.newyearappblowout.com/

Was good for some extra buzz, since you need a good reason for news sites/blogs to talk about you. It would be nice to see more PC developers doing stuff like this, rather than the usual practice of just "submitting" to the portal economy.
    Mike Kasprzak | sykhronics entertainment | Blog | twitter | Ludum Dare
    Smiles + HD (It's on everything™, IGF finalist, won a car) | ??? (2013) | MORE: Book, PuffBOMB, Towlr
    Hey you what's up yo? Kickin' it oldskool style!

Quote Originally Posted by PoV View Post
    We (a bunch of iPhone developers) did this for new years:

http://www.newyearappblowout.com/
    How well did this help sales-wise for the apps involved? Was it easy enough to administrate to make it worthwhile?

I think these kinds of campaigns are great, as long as someone from the very beginning lays down neat, concise rules about how it will proceed. As long as these are explicit to everyone involved from the beginning, it should help in reducing confusion and arguments.
    AnthonyS, RocketHands Business Shaman
    RocketHands - More indie than your grocer.
    AussieAppSale

The administration was easy 'cause, haha, someone else did it.

For the most part, the whole thing was orchestrated over Twitter. Great little piece of tech that Twitter. During new years, it had prices and discounts listed.

After a quick look over my stats, it looks like my sales went up about 2-3x. But as you can see from the site, I was pretty far down (Smiles Drop). The guys at the top obviously did better, and they did all the work on it, so it's not really fair for me to complain.

If I remember correctly, the duck game was actually free then.
    Mike Kasprzak | sykhronics entertainment | Blog | twitter | Ludum Dare
    Smiles + HD (It's on everything™, IGF finalist, won a car) | ??? (2013) | MORE: Book, PuffBOMB, Towlr
    Hey you what's up yo? Kickin' it oldskool style!

I think this sounds great, and would definitely be interested in putting AI War in this. Sounds like a lot of the specifics have yet to be worked out, but a lot of the ideas being tossed around sound interesting. I guess just keep us updated as this progresses to the point where you're looking for... whatever you find yourself looking for. Right now it's a bit nebulous-sounding.