Thread: Ludum Dare 48hr this weekend...

Thumbs up Ludum Dare 48hr this weekend...

Just wondering if anyone else is going for this weekends Ludum Dare competition?

http://ludumdare.com

I'm going for it and going to use BlitzMAX hope to see a few of you there!

I might have a go at it. What are the rules again? Can you use previously available tools like SFML for instance?

I've got an idea I've been hankering to hack together to try it out. I can only really spare 48hrs anyway
    www.mindflock.com - social AI-based games

Yep, pretty much any library and language is fair game, most middleware too. The only reason I don't say "all" is because there's probably something incredibly obscure that may bite me if I do. But generally speaking, anything commonly used to make games today is allowed.
    Mike Kasprzak | sykhronics entertainment | Blog | twitter | Ludum Dare
    Smiles + HD (It's on everything™, IGF finalist, won a car) | ??? (2013) | MORE: Book, PuffBOMB, Towlr
    Hey you what's up yo? Kickin' it oldskool style!

Quote Originally Posted by PoV View Post
    Yep, pretty much any library and language is fair game, most middleware too. The only reason I don't say "all" is because there's probably something incredibly obscure that may bite me if I do. But generally speaking, anything commonly used to make games today is allowed.
    I think a safe guidelines is if it isn't priced for corporations its fair game. So, the Valve's Source engine is out because it cost many thousands for a licenses.

The other tip is to do a public release of your code base before the contests so you can use it for your entry.
    Philip 'MrPhil' Ludington
    Mr. Phil Games | Iron Roads

We used to say "no commercial-only middleware like Renderware", but I don't think the kids even know what Renderware is anymore.
    Smiles + HD (It's on everything™, IGF finalist, won a car) | ??? (2013) | MORE: Book, PuffBOMB, Towlr

I did the last one, and I really, really wanted to do this one as well, but it just happens to fall on the same weekend that my baby sister is getting married, so... tough call, but I think I'm going to have to skip Ludum Dare and go to the wedding, because there's free booze.
    Freelance artist, writer & designer for hire.
    Art & design portfolio: http://www.alexweldon.com
    Game design site: http://www.benefactum.ca

Quote Originally Posted by AlexWeldon View Post
    I did the last one, and I really, really wanted to do this one as well, but it just happens to fall on the same weekend that my baby sister is getting married, so... tough call, but I think I'm going to have to skip Ludum Dare and go to the wedding, because there's free booze.
    Yeah, that's alright. Our booze 'aint free.

I'm in too. This will be mine second ludum dare. I'm really excited about it.

Just a heads up, the keynote is now live.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/

Yes, keynote.

Air.. Air... gasp

That was fun! I would have missed it without this thread.
    -TF

Just saw some rumours about 144 entries.
    That's totally awesome

Yes, the rumors are true. 144! Insane!

You can check out the list of entries here:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum...action=preview

I completely balls'd up my entry. Spent ages noodling around doing stuff in max. Then thought better of it and went and read a book instead.

I really wasnt feeling the caverns theme. I'd been hoping for burrowing because I could have used it as an excuse to finish off a demo I needed to write.

Anyway, good seeing so many people take part. Glad there were a load of entries too.

Next time
    www.mindflock.com - social AI-based games

Thumbs up

Had great fun working on my entry, after going blank when the intial theme was called Caverns then realising that I could write any kind of game I wanted and ended up trying to write a simple RTS!

Strangely enough didn't quite make it under the wire, but going to continue working on Assault on Zeonia as it's the kind of game I've wanted to write for ages!

Ludum Dare - get's a thumbs up for unlocking your creativity!

I like reading about these contests, but it's always so obvious which ones start from scratch and which ones already have the engine done and just re-skin based on theme.

Too bad i noticed it too late and i was busy this weekend. The caverns theme was a nice excuse to write yet another raycaster :-P

For anyone that want's to be sure they don't miss the next one, we have a mailing list.

http://www.gamecompo.com/mailing-list/

I send out announcements roughly a month early, and about a week before the start time.

And just to mention it, the next big one will be in December.
    Last edited by PoV; 08-31-2009 at 08:36 AM.

I actually SUNG for my entry, haha

Check it out!
    MY ENTRY PAGE
    Check out my blog about my programmer career!

Can the next competition be designing a more user-friendly web site? :|

How do you post comments on the games? Broken Cave Robot is my favorite so far... would love to be able to post about it on the game page. Also, voting is limited to "participants"... Does this mean you must submit a game to vote on games??? I've created an account but still see no way to vote.

We're incrementally taking steps to improve the site. Currently voting is limited to participants, following our usual rule that if you submit an entry, you get a vote.

We have a little more than 7 years worth of archives to reconstruct, and have plans to set up a properly integrated archive for this. Public voting will be part of that effort. Currently the best way to leave someone a comment is to check their journal, as more often than not their top post is some final or postmortem post about their game. The current system is brand new for this compo, so we were bound to make a few mistakes.

The results for this competition will be presented in a much nicer way this time. The top 10 (or all) with screenshots.

Cool, thanks for the info... definitely have some feedback for YMM on Broken Cave Robot. Spent a couple hours today making maps... really retro experience.

Yeah Pyabo, you should be happy you could download the games at all, last competitions the site was much worse, you couldn't even browse the game list.
    I say fix the site, even if it means not keeping the archives up to date. Look to the future.

I think I complained about it last time too. I'm just a cynic... You're right, this time I can actually browse the games and look at screenshots so that's a huge step in the right direction.

I think electronicStar is right... focus on the future. You could always keep the old site as-is for archive purpose.

Results are now available.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/