PDA

View Full Version : Q-Bix game v1.01

superlubo
03-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Hello everybody!
I want to present the game "Q-Bix" created by me and a big friend of mine. This is our first game, and we're very excited aboutit. The game itself is based on the classic Tetris, but there are some innovations in the gameplay. The game was developed in C++ and DirectX 9 library.

Here is a link from where you cand download and play the game. It's absolutely free:
Download Q-Bix (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/gds/download.asp?projectID=486049)

You can also visit the website of the game and read additional info:
Q-Bix Web Page (http://www.gamedev.net/community/gds/viewentry.asp?projectid=486049)

I present two in-game screenshots:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums//mod/gds/sshot/486049-769-full.png

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums//mod/gds/sshot/486049-771-full.png

System Requirements:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 1GHz or faster Intel / AMD processor
> Microsoft Windows XP (service pack 1 or higher)
> 128Mb of RAM
> 20Mb free HDD space
> DirectX 9.0c Compatible Video Card
> DirectX End-User Runtime November 2007 or newer -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1A2393C0-1B2F-428E-BD79-02DF977D17B8&displaylang=en
> Microsoft-compatible keyboard
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll be glad to hear your openion about our game!
Thanks in advance!

GeneralGrant
03-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Itís very dark and gloomy. Is this intentionally?

superlubo
03-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Itís very dark and gloomy. Is this intentionally?

The intention was to develop different graphics from the one we've seen in other tetris clones and remakes. Though the overall interface is dark, we've testet the game on different displays. It performed well on all of them. Maybe your monitor is too dark. If it's ok with you, can you tell me the display that you're useing? Thanks in advance!

Spore Man
03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
What is it with indie game developers and the name "qbix" or variations of?

Qbix
Q-bix
Cubix
Cubies
Qbies
Cubes
Cubis

It seems to be a commonly-used title and will confuse your customers...(unless of course you're counting on somehow siphoning Google search traffic??) Even in this forum, someone posted this a month or two ago: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=12721&highlight=Qbix

Maupin
03-24-2008, 12:16 PM
The intention was to develop different graphics from the one we've seen in other tetris clones and remakes. Though the overall interface is dark, we've testet the game on different displays. It performed well on all of them. Maybe your monitor is too dark. If it's ok with you, can you tell me the display that you're useing? Thanks in advance!

I think General Grant was referring to the screenshots, which certainly look dark and gloomy to me, too. I think you could use some more brightness or contrast in the game blocks.

teoma
03-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I love the graphics! It's like Bejeweled meets Silent Hill! Just looking at these screenshots is giving me brilliant ideas....

Grey Alien
03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
It looks atmospheric, but yeah darkness isn't so groovy for the casual realm (if that's even what you are aiming at) and it looks a bit fiddly. Agree on the name being very generic and done before. Good luck with it.

lennard
03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I disagree with the others. It looks pretty cool - if you were trying to sell into the casual market then you might rethink your presentation unless the game play was a little more hardcore than tetris... but seeing as how it's a freebie you aren't under those kinds of constraints.

superlubo
03-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks to all of you for the interest!

Spore Man, you're absolutely right - the title is common. We wanted to derive the name from the word "cube", since this is on of our main building elements. Actually, it's a little hard to be original nowadays. We know that the name is not unique, but we couldn't find a better one and we decided to leave "Q-bix". After all, this is a Tetris remake and we don't expect much attention. The game is absolutely free and we're not trying to make any profit from the chooseing that name.

Maupin, you're not the first one that tells us this. We were experimenting with contrast/brightness adjustments. We decided to lower the contrast between the blocks and the environment to accentuate on the whole scene, not on a part of it.

teoma, thanks, great comparison! I never thought to put the name of our game next to masterpiece like Silent Hill.

Grey Alien, you're right too. Most casual games I've seen are with funny cartoon-style graphics. We'll consider this in our next games.

lennard, thanks! If it's ok with you, can you explain a little bit more what you wanted to say with "rethink your presentation unless the game play was a little more hardcore than tetris". Thanks in advance!

LiquidAsh
03-27-2008, 09:05 AM
I saw no problem with the graphics. They seem to suit the game/audience well: more for hardcore gamers than a casual market. I didn't realize I could fill normal tetris-like rows until looking at the rules. So I played again, and found it took about 30 blocks before I had a 2 block high row. I'm not sure why the board is so wide(?). It seems to drag the game out: by making it take longer to fill a row, and to have enough screw ups to die. I didn't finish a game by losing, so I'm curious about how long a typical game generally lasts. The time/game is also why I'd associate this game with more of a hardcore audience than casual.

I did like the drilling block... I was expecting it to be primarily helpful, but actually found it found it more of a nusiance while trying to fill rows.

superlubo
03-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your feedback, LiquidAsh!
We decided to make the board wider to experiment with the gameplay. The intention was to give enought space to use all game features - filling rows, filling "cubix" forms and using bonuses simultaniously. Using just a single feature, like filling rows, isn't the best way to achieve high scores.
The gameplay time may be vary from 15 to 30 minutes. Normally, we've achieved highest scores around 100 000.