PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone got a Mac Mini?

princec
03-22-2008, 04:16 AM
Can't seem to get my games to run on Mac Minis. Or at least not newer ones.
Has any kind soul got a few minutes to test out Ultratron and Titan Attacks on their Mac Minis?

Cas :)

barrygamer
03-22-2008, 04:39 AM
I don't see any problems with either game. Am using an early intel mac mini, maybe you want tests on newer models, using Leopard (boy, I wish I had dual core). Something specific to test?

Mac mini intel core solo 1.5 GHz, 512 ram, 10.4.8.
I think java 1.5.0, but I am no java expert to be sure.

princec
03-22-2008, 04:42 AM
The problem is that it somehow can't find a valid screen mode on a newer one (haven't got full specs). I just find it odd that it no longer works, but then Apple are famous for breaking things.

elias4444
03-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I'll get it tested here (downloading now). I use my mac mini as an HTPC though, so I'll be waiting until my son is done watching his Saturday morning cartoons. :p

elias4444
03-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Ok... I downloaded both and tried them on my core2duo mac mini with Leopard installed (and all the latest updates as well).

and no problems!

They both worked fine. I even switched in and out of fullscreen mode without issue. Sorry if that wasn't what you were hoping for. ;)

Jack Norton
03-22-2008, 09:02 AM
The problem is that it somehow can't find a valid screen mode on a newer one (haven't got full specs). I just find it odd that it no longer works, but then Apple are famous for breaking things.

Are you sure is macmini? and not related to monitor size (those widescreen ones for example)

princec
03-22-2008, 09:09 AM
'Swhat he claims... don't think it's a widescreen issue, it worked on every other widescreen system I tried it on.

Kite65
04-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Could it be something to do with the display.
Perhaps the user has one of the 20" inch LCD panels
a 6-bit twisted nematic film (TN) LCD screen, which the firm claims is the "least expensive of its type," sporting a narrower viewing angle than the display of the 24-inch model, less color depth, less color accuracy and greater susceptibility to washout.

I wondered if it couldn't handle the display mode that you are asking for.

It seems that apple haven't been clear in stating the differences between displays
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/31/apple_hit_with_another_millions_of_colors_lawsuit. html

I was thinking of getting Mac mini when they are updated in the near future But I might wait and see what the reviews say

princec
04-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Ah yes, actually I resolved this issue:

Mac OS when attached to a CRT and asked for a resolution under 800x600 will claim to set that display mode but actually it won't, it sets some other mode. LWJGL contains a sanity check to catch this and throws a LWJGLException; I just assumed that fullscreen mode switch had failed and bomb out of the app at that point. I now catch that exception and simply try windowed mode instead when it occurs. My fault really, it should have done that all along.

mot
10-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Just a note to Cas and possibly others looking to test on a Mac Mini- I just bought one so feel free to send me stuff to test. It's the Intel version.