PDA

View Full Version : [Feedback request] Dog Fighters

supagu
03-10-2008, 02:47 AM
This is a small game i've been working on.

The main game mode called 'invasion' waves of enemies spawn you must fend them off to see what maximum level you can reach before running out of lives. You can play with multiple humans to fend off the enemies.

I'd like feedback on
-is the how to play section enough for you to work out how to play
-what waves people generally get up to (so i can gauge difficulty)
-system requirements and performance. The game will currently default to 2x antialiasing at your highest monitor resolution. This can be hand tweaked in Data/Profile.mdd
remove the -- from the options under [Render] if you want to fiddle with graphics options. The game also supports software rendering so should work on systems that dont have very good video cards (check the Log.html file to see if the game automaically reverted to software rendering)
-any other comments :)

Screen:
http://www.adam.com.au/mathews64/DogFighters.jpg

Download:
http://www.adam.com.au/mathews64/DogFighters.rar

Requirements
Windows of some form, ive only tested on vista and XP
Okay you'll want at least a radeon 9600 or better or geforce 3 or better OR a CPU faster than 2ghz (as it will revert to software rendering if your video card cant handle shaders)
If you find it crashes after seeing the black carbon logo (with strips through it indicate its running in software mode)
the menu will crash, but you can get strait in to a 4 player game by adding the command line
-level Sky
or
-level City
Sky is recommended if your running software as it doesn't have a cityscape background

Thanks,
Fabian

MattWorden
03-10-2008, 06:08 PM
This one didn't work for me (WinXP Pro). At startup, it flashed a black screen very briefly, returned to my desktop (looking a bit askew, as if part way backing out of a screen size change), and popped up the generic Windows "this application has caused an error and had to be shut down" message.

I simply extracted the RAR files into a folder of their own and ran it from there.

-Matt

OremLK
03-10-2008, 06:43 PM
This is a small game i've been working on.

The main game mode called 'invasion' waves of enemies spawn you must fend them off to see what maximum level you can reach before running out of lives. You can play with multiple humans to fend off the enemies.

I'd like feedback on
-is the how to play section enough for you to work out how to play
-what waves people generally get up to (so i can gauge difficulty)
-system requirements and performance. The game will currently default to 2x antialiasing at your highest monitor resolution. This can be hand tweaked in Data/Profile.mdd
remove the -- from the options under [Render] if you want to fiddle with graphics options. The game also supports software rendering so should work on systems that dont have very good video cards (check the Log.html file to see if the game automaically reverted to software rendering)
-any other comments :)

To answer your specific requests:

-I didn't even need the how to play section to figure out the gameplay, but yeah, it explains things fine, except that you should probably list the actual keys rather than just saying "fire button" etc.
-I played up until I think wave 10; I didn't lose, I just kind of quit.
-Performance was fine, but my machine is fairly high-end (Athlon X2 5200+, 2gb, 8800GTS).

Other comments:

-I really like the graphical style during gameplay itself.
-The upper clouds that obscure your view are really annoying. I would at least make them partially transparent if not do away with them completely.
-The UI needs work. The plain MS Paint boxes in the how to play menu stick out like a sore thumb. I didn't understand what the HUD on the bottom right was for. The text was pretty bad; font, lack of antialiasing, no nice effects like a basic drop shadow. At least put a mouse rollover effect on the menu buttons (highlight them red or something).
-Powerups: I kept thinking, "where are they?" Give them out earlier and more often, and give them more obvious, gameplay-affecting effects. There's a serious lack of positive feedback and rewards right now.
-The fire rate was painfully, painfully slow, and having just one such wimpy cannon made me feel pretty pathetic. On the other hand, the game wasn't particularly hard. I died a few times but never felt like I was at much risk of losing.
-The slow, slow turn rate of the planes was kind of frustrating. I'd think about speeding it up at least a little bit. Also, I could see a mouse-based control scheme working well for this game; why not have the plane follow the mouse cursor and make left mouse fire? It'd be more intuitive when you first start playing and easier to control.
-I'm assuming this is just a temporary thing, but right now there are too few sounds, and the ones that are in there are not very good. The gunfire sound in particular is kind of weird (sounds like a burst when you fire only one bullet), and it's strange how respawning from a parachute plays the explosion sound effect.

Anyway, I definitely think there's a lot of potential here, it just needs some more work. Nice job though!

supagu
03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
This one didn't work for me (WinXP Pro). At startup, it flashed a black screen very briefly, returned to my desktop (looking a bit askew, as if part way backing out of a screen size change), and popped up the generic Windows "this application has caused an error and had to be shut down" message.

I simply extracted the RAR files into a folder of their own and ran it from there.

-Matt

can you email me your log.html, it should tell me where abouts the game crashed or copy and paste it in to a PM to me.

OremLK, Thanks for the feedback :)

edit:
Okay i've uploaded a new build to fix a bug i found with ATI cards and added more console output, so if you could try it out again Matt and send me the log.html again should let me know exactly what your problem is :)

-Powerups: I kept thinking, "where are they?" Give them out earlier and more often, and give them more obvious, gameplay-affecting effects. There's a serious lack of positive feedback and rewards right now.

positive feedback as in trying to determine what the pickup does? or FX or both? or do you mean something else?

oldschool
03-11-2008, 06:50 AM
The new build died and the old build died on me too. On the second build I saw black carbon screen. The screenshot looks great though.

OremLK
03-11-2008, 07:19 AM
positive feedback as in trying to determine what the pickup does? or FX or both? or do you mean something else?

I just pretty much meant "reward the player during gameplay"... this can take the form of cool visual/sound effects, special abilities for them to enjoy (temporary or otherwise), and other such bonuses. Even something as simple as a big "Score" display helps a little.

chanon
03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
I tried the new build and couldn't play it either.
I'm running an ATI X1600
I'm guessing it is using OpenGL?
(Don't ask me to update drivers because this is a notebook and Acer hasn't released new graphics drivers for it for more than a year.)

Cartman
03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Just tried it and I got to the menu screen. However, the mouse response was litteraly 5 seconds between me moving the mouse and the crosshairs moving to the new position. Very slow. I didn't play it because of this.

My graphics card is a 256mb ATI Radeon X1300PRO and I'm on XP Pro.

supagu
03-11-2008, 03:38 PM
yep it uses OGL, and if you have a video card greater than or better than a geforce 3 or radeon 9600 like you have cartman and chanon, you probably need new video drivers.

Alternatively if you have a fast CPU you can force software mode (but you wont be able to view the menu as it doesnt work in software mode yet)

add to the end of your command line:
-software -level Sky
or
-software -level City

as i'm also interested in determining minimum cpu speed the software renderer can handle

oldschool
03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I got the game to work with the command line arguments, and it worked okay but slow. If my computer was a little faster, the game would have looked normal to me.

Good luck and the game is visually very interesting.

I hope you get the requirements down.