PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Request: Battle Of Tiles

Bimboosoft
03-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Bimboosoft has released Battle Of Tiles v0.90 beta.

Battle Of Tiles is a turn based fantasy simulation role playing game (SRPG).
You can handle large party (up to 70 tiles) very easily.
Buy the enemy tiles, arrange battle formation and raise the allied tiles!

This version allows you to play one level.
It will be shorter (about 35% of one level) in the final version.
The game has 5 levels.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Info URL: http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/

Download: http://bimboo.sakura.ne.jp/BattleOfTilesSetup.exe

Screenshots:
http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/images/screen000_small.jpg (http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/images/screen000.jpg) http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/images/screen011_small.jpg (http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/images/screen011.jpg) http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/images/screen004_small.jpg (http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/images/screen004.jpg) http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/images/screen010_small.jpg (http://www.bimboosoft.com/BOT/images/screen010.jpg)

Game Features

- You can have up to 70 tiles in your party!

- Auto battle system enables simple & easy control.

- 37 unique tiles - fighter, wizard, slime, skeleton, etc.

- You can buy enemy tiles if you can afford it.

- 5 difficulty levels.

System Requirements

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
1 GHz CPU
256 MB RAM
DirectX 9.0c

Thank you.

Hirofumi Hattori
Bimboosoft
http://www.bimboosoft.com/

AlexWeldon
03-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Hirofumi Hattori
Bimboosoft
http://www.bimboosoft.com/

I can't play your game because I'm on a Mac, but I feel obliged to let you know that you might want to change the name of your company if you're planning on marketing to English speakers.

When I first saw it, I read Bimbosoft, rather than Bimboosoft. Look up "bimbo" in a dictionary if you don't know what it means.

I hope you're not insulted, but it's better if I tell you now than if you find out later, from the consumers.

Maupin
03-09-2008, 07:58 AM
When I first saw it, I read Bimbosoft, rather than Bimboosoft. Look up "bimbo" in a dictionary if you don't know what it means.

"bimboo" / "binbou" (貧乏) means "poor" in Japanese, so maybe that's where the name comes from? ;)

Hey Hirofumi, where are you located in Saitama? I've lived in Kumagaya and Ageo, but I'm back in the states visiting family right now.

I don't have time to check out Battle of Tiles at the moment, but I'll try it later and post back.

AlexWeldon
03-09-2008, 08:30 AM
"bimboo" / "binbou" (貧乏) means "poor" in Japanese, so maybe that's where the name comes from? ;)

Oh, it's obvious that the name is something from Japanese... probably the word you're talking about. I just meant that if he's going to market to the English-speaking world, he should probably choose a different word, which doesn't sound like something negative in English.

I mean, Phuket is a city in Thailand... but if you were a Thai-based company, you'd probably be ill-advised to choose that as your company name if you were doing business overseas, right? Bangkok too, for that matter, though people are more familiar with it, so won't snicker quite as much at the name.

GeneralGrant
03-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Why? I think itís a great name because itís something that youíll actually remember without it being offensive (well, maybe a few blonds will take it the wrong way...). But he really needs to register bimbosoft.com because everyone will type it in wrong.

Jesse Hopkins
03-09-2008, 12:37 PM
---------------

AlexWeldon
03-09-2008, 01:02 PM
You know, many people may intentionally type bimbosoft looking for something... else... Maybe this is the perfect way to name a company ;)

Well, I was going to say that the name made me think his games were going to be "like Diner Dash, but with strippers," but decided someone - either he, or the makers of Diner Dash - would be offended. ;)

Edit: Maybe he should team up with Games Afoot. "Wagon's Ho, by Bimbosoft" would probably get a lot of downloads :D

Bimboosoft
03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I knew what "bimbo" means when I decided to use the name.
I asked my brother who lived in USA if I should change the name or not.
He asked his colleague and it seemed no problem.

Bimboosoft
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Hirofumi, where are you located in Saitama? I've lived in Kumagaya and Ageo, but I'm back in the states visiting family right now.

I live in Saitama-city:)

GeneralGrant
03-10-2008, 12:49 AM
like Diner Dash, but with strippers
So, Betty's Beer Bar then? :p

http://www.mysterystudio.com/bbb/bbb_i11.jpg

Jesse Hopkins
03-10-2008, 04:46 AM
-----------

Maupin
03-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I know Saitama-shi well... I often went to Manboo/Loft/Karaoke and other places in Omiya. Not so much now but I still go there every now and then.

I tried Battle of Tiles, and played until I beat King Slime and entered the Catacombs.... as far as the demo let me play.

This is the first such tile combat game I've played, and I found it entertaining and a bit addictive in that I enjoyed watching my party advance forward sweeping all monsters from the path and gaining experience levels. However it gets monotonous quickly. I think 35% of one level (as you said the final version will be) is a definite improvement because right now the game seems to go on forever.

Some comments:

I didn't know at first that tiles attacked automatically... I thought I had to move into an enemy to attack. (I'm used to Angband.) Maybe the tutorial should explain automatic combat.

The demo says "The tiles recover some extent when the allies move forward." But I think it would read better as "All your allies regain some life energy when they move forward as a group."

The movement system is kind of clunky, though I don't have any brilliant ideas on how to improve it. I do think if multiple tiles are selected and you attempt to move them all, but one or two can't make a move due to a monster tile being in the way, then none should move. That way the party layout you've set up isn't messed up. Similarly, maybe bought tiles should become autmatically selected.

Also I found it annoying that tiles can't move into the leftmost column on the screen.

I love the combat. The sounds and attacks and arrows flying about when your party meets a line of enemy tiles are very well done and entertaining. Messages like "double attack" and "critical hit" go by a little too fast, but that's my only complaint.

I wish I knew more about the enemies and their attacks. For example, they appear to be using magic to "freeze" members of my party, but nothing happens. Why should I buy a goblin, wizard, etc.? Are slimes worth buying? They appear to be immune to magical attacks? Maybe mouseovers should have more info.

Battle of Tiles is way too easy. I played on normal and very hard and both times I basically just lined up my party and kept clicking right until I reached the end of the level. I did buy skeleton archers and three priests for healing, but that's it. I think in the course of normal combat I lost two tiles in "very hard" mode. That's it. This is the biggest problem with the game I can see. "Very hard" should be damn near unwinnable.

The background music got annoying very quickly. ;) It's not bad, just not something I want to listen to again and again and again. I usually turn off bgm however.

$4.95 is certainly a nice price. I don't know much about pricing, but it may even be too low, because people tend to associate cheap (as in price) games with cheap (as in quality) games.

Over all, your game needs something more. It's too basic and there's not much strategy involved. The levels are barren, but adding obstacles might just make it annoying moving your party, so I don't know if that's the solution. Maybe item slots and drops? Basically Battle of Tiles looks like a tactics game, but there doesn't seem to be much tactical strategy involved. Of course maybe that's where the higher levels come in.

Anyway, good job and I enjoyed playing the demo!

MattWorden
03-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I agree with a lot of what Maupin stated. With the minor exception that I do like the way the block of tiles moves (with all selected) when moving around a remaining enemy.

I will second the motion of having some sort of easy reference as to what each piece can do, beyond the health/attack/range type stats.

Otherwise, everything seems to move too slowly ... I think you could double the speed of the tiles' slide rate to improve that part of the "feel".

After introducing the white allie tiles, the tutorial should prompt the user to move to the right. While it may seem obvious due to how you layout the initial set of tiles (everything on the left, empty board on the right) ... a tutorial mode should coax the player down the right path.

Some sort of world map or progress bar should be employed to help the player know how far they've travel (and have yet to travel) in the current level. I grew bored of slaying slime, and when more continued to show up, without knowing how far I had to go ... it didn't give me much reason to press on.

I do like the idea of what this game could be ... right up my alley for somewhat-abstract strategy games. I also like your battle animations -- especially the archer arrows.

Perhaps adding in some sort of terrain variance -- even as simple as having blocks or walls. And then having a multi-directional board, instead of just moving left-to-right. And, finally, having some sort of goal beyond destroying all of the enemy pieces ... such as occupying a position, capturing/retrieving something, etc. I'd like to have a reason to break my tiles up into multiple groups, benefit from flank attacks, or hammer/anvil tactics.

Nice work so far. Can't wait to see it progress.

-Matt

Bimboosoft
03-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I made some changes.
http://bimboo.sakura.ne.jp/BattleOfTilesSetup.exe

- What's new in v0.91 -

- Added detailed status.
- Added progress bar.
- Changed message speed.
- Changed tutorial.

Battle of Tiles is way too easy. I played on normal and very hard and both times I basically just lined up my party and kept clicking right until I reached the end of the level. I did buy skeleton archers and three priests for healing, but that's it. I think in the course of normal combat I lost two tiles in "very hard" mode. That's it. This is the biggest problem with the game I can see. "Very hard" should be damn near unwinnable.

It's easy because it's level 1...

Otherwise, everything seems to move too slowly ... I think you could double the speed of the tiles' slide rate to improve that part of the "feel".

What is your CPU/Video card?
Please try "V-sync OFF" and see if the speed is different.

Are there anyone who think the game is slow?

pydun
03-26-2008, 07:03 AM
I like the game very much!It's so close to the ideal that I image.Here is some suggestions and excuse me if you can't understand my English:)

1.Formation tactics.I used a "line up" formation: put the fighters in the front and archers and priests on the back.It can deal with almost any situations and no need to think of other formation.But I found it restricted the freedom of exploiting the formation combinations:I want to use different formations in different situations,like a "<" formation to surround tough but lone enemies and a ">" formation to march unstoppably etc.I think a change to the enemies' formation and ability can improve this.For example, an unmovable but extra long range and extra life and extra damage enemy unit will disturb a "line up" formation greatly.And since the lack of exp for archers is a disadvantage for "line up"formation,the increasing of the importance of archers will weaken the "line up"formation.Actually I do tried the ">" formation.I put 3 fighters in the front and others on the back and archers on the corner.It makes the archers vulnerable to the enemies but gain more exp and they can shoot enemies two steps away(the corner of a square range),maybe an improve on the damage would be better.

2.Saving problem.I pressed alt+f4 when I lost some units.I thought it would back to the record where I last save & exit, but when I restarted I found the record was gone! It's so frustrated because I was so close to the end of the progress.It also gone when game over.I think save & exit only is a good idea, but what happen if my system halt? And what if my army was destroied when I fighting the final boss of the game?Start over from the very beginning again? So I think the game should be saved automatically or manually.

That's all of my suggestions. Hope it's helpful for you and looking forward to see the final version of the game.

LiquidAsh
03-27-2008, 10:25 AM
I really enjoyed this game, and am excited to see further levels. Here is some feedback:

I enjoyed how tiles move and get in each others' way, but it was frusterating to always move the mouse to the control at the bottom of the screen. I would love keyboard shortcuts for movement.
The level was terribly long and easy, as you seem to be aware. I don't know how much this effected my play experience, for instance a long line of attacking tiles seemed to clear the level with little difficulty (ie. I didn't have to rely much on strategy).
A reference for stats and abilities would be very helpful. I saved up a lot of money hoping I'd find some new tiles to buy.
I was also thrilled to see the boss at the end had a differently shaped tile. I think having differently shaped tiles in my own unit would make the movement/strategy even more interesting.
I don't know what happens between levels, but I agree that the play can get kind of tedious. It would be nice to have some way of picking battles that will help your unit build up to beating or buying powerful other more powerful tiles.
A story would be nice, but may not suit your idea for the game, or budget. I have such a strong desire to find and collect cool tiles that it would be great to have sub-goals of doing just that. I guess what I'm saying is tease me a bit more in this regard.

All in all, great work. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Bimboosoft
03-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Battle Of Tiles is now available.

It's not so different from last version except the keyboard shortcuts.
About the game difficulty/length and save system,
I want to consider full version user's opinion as well.

Thank you for the feedbacks everyone.
I appreciate it.

Sammgus
06-15-2008, 06:49 AM
At such a low price, how could I not buy it? Honestly, with the growing confidence in buying online, and a reputable payments operator (Plimus in this case), I think the days of charging $20 or $25 for ANY indie game are going to be over soon. For instance take Bellatorus - I'd have bought it for $5, maybe even $10. It's a nice simple game with a 3D interface. I don't consider it to be worth $20, and from the looks of things, that appears to be the common perception. There are a lot of games on this level, but they all charge at least $20 regardless.

And what I actually wanted to post about was the difficultly level. Contrary to what people are saying, Very Hard is really pretty damn hard (at least in the registered 1.1 version).

HarryBalls
06-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Your name is fine. Don't change it.

:)

DaviddesJ
06-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I've played the release version twice now, the second time at "Hard" when I died midway through the 4th level. Has anyone reached all the way to the end? At what level?

I think the game needs some sort of restart option other than going all the way back to the beginning. It just seems too long to muster up a lot of enthusiasm for going all the way back to the beginning when something goes wrong. Even being able to restart the current level, as opposed to going back to the 1st level, would make a big difference.

The game could also use some sort of "score" to compare results.

There is some strategy, but it takes a while to figure out. Defeating bosses often seems to require using a bunch of chaff, the bosses will sometimes target relatively weak allies rather than killing my best units even though they could. It would be nice to have a method other than trial and error to determine whom they will strike---especially since it takes so long to reach the second or third boss from the starting position.

There is also a strategy of leaving one (weak) unit far behind the rest of your forces, so that when enemies appear, you have the option to back up your main force while healing/reorganizing. This seems a bit artificial. Sometimes it's helpful and sometimes it's not.

The different units advance in strength at different rates. They seem to require different amounts of experience to advance, as well. (E.g., the zombies and mummies are very powerful at level 0, but advance only slowly and don't get much stronger. The human units, that one has from the beginning, advance fairly rapidly and get a lot stronger.) Nevertheless, even the best units are vulnerable to a lucky criticial hit/double strike.

There aren't nearly as many ranged-attack units to hire as there are melee units (the ranged units that tend to appear later in the game are very high level and completely unaffordable). In general, the costs of buying units beyond level 0 (occasionally level 10) seem exorbitant. Maybe this is intentional.

I think there are some neat ideas here but the game could still be a whole lot better.

Applewood
06-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Come late to this one, but I think the Japanese word as a name is even worse to a Japanese than it is when read as English tbh.

Would you expect to sell anything from "www.bagofshitgames.com" ?

Jack Norton
06-20-2008, 02:44 AM
I think the days of charging $20 or $25 for ANY indie game are going to be over soon.

well, luckily for me (and other indie devs), that is absolutely an opinion and not a fact... My $25 games sells just fine :D

Applewood
06-20-2008, 03:10 AM
so won't snicker quite as much at the name

"Brest" does it for me every time :)

Sammgus
06-20-2008, 10:38 AM
well, luckily for me (and other indie devs), that is absolutely an opinion and not a fact... My $25 games sells just fine :D
I just re-read what I wrote and realised it was ambiguous. I didn't mean to say that no indie game is worth $25, I meant that you can look around at indie games and see that a fair number of them are clearly not worth the amount they charge. It was just refreshing to see a $5 game priced at $5.

Although presumably the low end of the market is better served by putting games on places like Kongregate and getting sales through advertising.

Applewood
06-20-2008, 10:49 AM
It does sadden me when people show this attitude. I admit that a large majority of games available are utter shite and are not worth 1 pence.

But if it's worth a second look at all, how can anyone says its worth 5 dollars and not 10 or even 20.

A pint of beer costs the equivalent of 5 bucks and you get to enjoy that for only 5 minutes and it don't come with a playable demo either..

lennard
06-20-2008, 04:44 PM
I agree. $20 isn't very much to most folks, the real issue is making something that people want.

Jack Norton
06-20-2008, 11:50 PM
With the increase in prices of almost ALL "luxury" commodities (going out, movies, music, anything) I really think that $20 is cheap.
As player I didn't mind paying 59eur to get the last Pro Evolution Soccer game. Then I'm a person that buy 2-3 games a year, but price isn't really a major factor in my decision.

Sharpfish
06-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Bimboo is fine, it didn't read as bimbo to me more like bamboo if anything (as mentioned above).