PDA

View Full Version : Sixty Five Million And One BC

gareth_tilt
02-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Greetings, Indiegamer folks!

I've been developing a game with Mark Overmars' Game Maker, and I'd like to know your opinions on whether it would be worth my while to try and sell it commercially. I didn't start this project with the intention of making money from it, so I'm not coming here with any particular expectations - just curiosity. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Name: Sixty Five Million And One BC
System requirements: Windows XP / 98 (not Vista compatible yet)
Demo download: http://bouncingfox.co.uk/folders/gareth/r2_demo3.zip

The game is a story-driven platformer about a bunch of raptors trying to stop a meteor from causing their own extinction by building a giant machine :cool:

http://bouncingfox.co.uk/folders/gareth/65m+1bc_screenshots/r2_pack_fight.jpg

Other screenshots are here: http://bouncingfox.co.uk/folders/gareth/65m+1bc_screenshots/

I am unaware of any bugs so far, and am hoping for general feedback as to whether this would be a commercially viable game. I can imagine setting up a simple play-the-demo-then-BMTMicro-the-full-game system, but I don't want to waste my time and money if this wouldn't do well as an indie game.

Many thanks!

oldschool
02-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm surprised you haven't got any comments yet. I played it a bit sporadically and it's pretty good. The music is good and unobtrusive and the dino animations are perfect. The only criticisms is all the talking and the all the buttons I need to use to get things to work.

At some point I no longer wanted to play but wanted to see if you coded any pointless conversations(non tutorial stuff) like "what about that meteor huh?....Crazy stuff". I'm weird I know! But the game looks great I can't imagine it not selling to its target audience(I'm not really a platform gamer).

Good luck with your game looks great.

ps. Why is your game so slow at startup. And there are slow downs during the game (rarely, but they happen).

OremLK
02-16-2008, 07:44 PM
It's a cool game and I definitely think it has commercial viability. The graphics are great and the humor is excellent. I laughed a lot at the dialogue. I have several suggestions though:

-Pick a frame rate and do away with the option to change it, or else make the game run at the same speed no matter what FPS limit you choose. I changed it to 60fps at first (because I figured my computer could handle it) and it ran way too fast. Took me awhile to realize that speed literally meant speed, not just frame rate.

-I found the controls really tough to use, especially the stuff where you have to jump while climbing. It'd be better if you didn't have to hold control to climb but could instead could just press it once to start climbing and press it again to drop (or space to jump). It made the gameplay a lot less fun trying to deal with so many different buttons at once.

-Make a real game menu pop up when you press escape, not a windows menu. It takes away from the otherwise professional look and feel of the game.

I didn't have any performance/load time issues, but then, I'm running an Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2gb, GeForce 8800GTS.

centurion
02-17-2008, 02:14 AM
My suggestions:

- Improve the controls. As the others said, it's too complicated.
- Display resolution is too low, improve it. Cartoon graphic looks too jerky in such low res, especially in full screen mode.
- Solve technical infelicity. Alt+F4 should quit application, not switch display mode (F11 is better for that). Also, window title has to have sys memu, minimize and close buttons.

It's a good game anyway. Great idea and lots of humour - definitely worth to finish it.

JoshuaSmyth
02-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Its a neat little game. It seems to take forever to load on my system - I guess that can't be improved too much because of game maker. It also runs a bit on the slow side. I have a P4 1.4 ghz 384mb ram

I like the graphics, but the controls are a bit convoluted you have to press many buttons all at the same time. I'd suggest that you just hold down up to latch on to the climbing up objects, lots of other games do this, prince of persia and commander keen 4 come to mind.

I think mouth moving animations would go well whilst the dinosaurs are talking.

I didn't play past the forest because of the speed/control issues

But keep up the good work, I can see the potential.

gareth_tilt
02-18-2008, 03:41 AM
Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions, everyone; I'm really glad you think this has potential.

I know there are speed issues - Game Maker's resource hungry dynamic compiling really starts to show when you pile on the graphics in a GM game. But the control issues are what I'd most like to resolve. I'm going to try and change the climbing system to reduce the need for so many buttons - this IS something I've tweaked a lot already to try and get it as intuitive as possible, but it's obviously not working in its current state.

The windows-style esc menu is already replaced - I should definitely have noticed the lameness of that earlier, it's spooky how much objectivity I've lost by working on this for so long! I'm adding a system to replace all the standard dialogs with nice, styled, animated ones.

The frame rate is a tricky one. Most of the game's mechanics are reliant on 30 iterations per second being the standard speed. I think I'll replace this (pretty redundant) setting with one for global difficulty.

As much as I'd love to make the game as smooth and slick-looking as possible, increasing the resolution would only bloat the (already long) loading time, and I'm very reluctant to do that. I do plan to saturate the graphics more, which should make it look a bit nicer.

Thanks again!

Sybixsus
02-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Looks great, and the only suggestion I could give from the screenshots, you've already taken already which is a little more color saturation in the graphics. I can't test it yet, as I only use Vista now, but I'll definitely give it a go if and when it becomes Vista-compatible.