PDA

View Full Version : [Feedback Request] Caverns of Underkeep - Browser based Roguelike

JoshuaSmyth
01-14-2008, 01:10 AM
So my roguelike game is nearing completion. It's supposed to be a short-ish game, so there are only 7 levels of dungeon. I'm pretty sure (provided you don't die) the game could be completed in around an hour or so.

The game is played in a browser and you can play it at http://www.peachysoft.com/cavernsalpha2/
Its approx 1.4mb so it shouldn't take too long to load for most people.

I would call the game 'mostly' complete. I still need to skin the UI in alot of places, such as the town and the shops - but all the main gameplay and the main dungeon has been completed. Now I'm on the tweak, tune and polish till it shines stage.

I will also implement highscore tables at some stage, but I want to balance the game, get feedback and tweak it first.

Thanks to anyone who trys it out :)

http://www.peachysoft.com/cavernsalpha2/cavernsalphascreen1.gif

simonoc
01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
hey, I like the concept and the graphics do have a cool retro feel. I've got some feedback for you:

* Start the player in town, give the player hints to buy stuff to start with
* Give the player more gold to play with at the beginning. The majority of people will play short games, let the casual people play with stuff at the beginning.
* There should be cheaper stuff to buy, different grades of weapons (everything was too expensive) There is nothing worse than going into a shop and no being to buy anything
* The healer in town should heal you once for free
* When you pick up stuff, it should auto equip if the slot if empty
* Double clicking on an items in the inventory should use / equip it
* If you don't sort your stats out at the beginning, cannot go back if had spare points
* Combat seems extremely lethal for a first level, after a lot of deaths it stopped being fun. The first monster I met was a bunny which I thought was a fluffy pet until it started attacking me. Need monsters to look more mean.

Good luck with your project.
Sims

JoshuaSmyth
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I'm compiling a list of all suggestions and will sort through changes and work them into the next update.

Mattias Gustavsson
01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I was killed by Beefcake! :eek:

I like it, nice retro feel. And being hurt by walking into walls remind me of Dungeon Master :cool:

JoshuaSmyth
01-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I was killed by Beefcake! :eek:

I like it, nice retro feel. And being hurt by walking into walls remind me of Dungeon Master :cool:

Beefcake is pretty tough for a level 1 dude :)

You shouldn't be hurt by walking into walls, but you do use up a turn - so you were probably attacked. I'm probably going to make it so that you don't lose a turn if you make an invalid move.

lennard
01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Fun!

- Berserkers can't wear body armor - good to know this before I spend my 170 GP.

- healer will heal me for 7 or 8 GP. However, if I respond Yes or No to the subsequent dialog, I don't get healed.

- Beefcake is pretty tough.

Also, for me, I prefer real imaginary critters. No bunnies, evil plants in pots or beefcake for me, I like Orcs, Trolls, Dark Elves... you get the idea. More of a LOTR than a Piers Anthony kind of guy.

lennard
01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
a save game function would be REALLY handy. Even if you had to be in the town to use it

some way of accessing inventory from the town

game skips inputs every once in awhile or won't get the proper arrow direction from the cursor - very annoying to die as a cause of this.

Still a very fun, old school game.

Grey Alien
01-15-2008, 02:20 AM
This looks cool. Will try out soon. I used to love Larn on the Amiga.

JoshuaSmyth
01-15-2008, 03:08 AM
a save game function would be REALLY handy. Even if you had to be in the town to use it

I debated this one for a while, I test-drove having the ability to save your game, but it seemed to remove that small panic-like feeling of 'holy crap, I might actually die'. Roguelikes do traditionally have permadeath after all - I know they often allow saves but this game is pretty short.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into the other issues you brought up.

:)

JoshuaSmyth
01-15-2008, 03:11 AM
Fun!
healer will heal me for 7 or 8 GP. However, if I respond Yes or No to the subsequent dialog, I don't get healed.

I've fixed this, the healer will actually heal now :)

simonoc
01-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Some more lunchtime feedback ...

* When buying stuff it would be really handy to see your inventory? otherwise how do you remember if your current stuff is better.
* Constantly running back to town to sell stuff is annoying. How about some portals scrolls that are cheap to buy?
* I had a weird issue where I could not use 2 health potions during a fight and died. Was fighting 3 creatures at the time and they were hitting me pretty hard.
* The creatures at the beginning of levels are too tough. The creatures should scale up the further you are away from the level entrance.
* The chest word puzzles are out of context with the game. Locks picks or a lock picking mini game would be better.
* Got no idea how you disarm stuff besides pressing D!

Hope that helps.
Sims

lennard
01-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I've fixed this, the healer will actually heal now :)

That's helpful!

Save in town seems like a decent compromise but I'm actually on your side about needing to kill players once in awhile. Here's the real issue. I can't see my hitpoints while fighting (my eyeballs go one direction at a time) so I'm sitting on the 1 key to maximize my power ups - sometimes I press 1 and it doesn't "take" so I've done everything right and I still die. Making the players hitpoints show up on the player during battle would be helpful and solving the player input lag issue would be REALLY helpful.

Got work to do, will try to not play the game today but I think I'm hooked.

JoshuaSmyth
01-15-2008, 11:16 AM
so I'm sitting on the 1 key to maximize my power ups - sometimes I press 1 and it doesn't "take" so I've done everything right and I still die. Making the players hitpoints show up on the player during battle would be helpful and solving the player input lag issue would be REALLY helpful.

Hrmm.. don't suppose you could tell me which browser/javaVM version you are using? If you press '1' to use a potion it should use a potion, then allow the enemies move. Not just allow the enemies move. There could be something a bit funny going on there.

I think I'll make the healthbar flash / have a heartbeat sfx playing when you are at 20% or less health.

lennard
01-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Seemed like it upgraded my Java when I booted this AM - have not noticed the issue since.

- I agree running back to town is annoying

- would be good to spawn monsters on levels already cleared otherwise your only choice is to go forward, making it hard for weaker players to finish the game. I know this is against the general philosophy but I would still argue the case.

- amulet of endurance didn't affect my HP

- pressing down left or down right against a horizontal wall should move me left or right respectively

- what is the difference between boots that give me armour value 4 and boots that are armour value +2?

- identification costs are too high relative to what you get

- the gold found in chests should ramp up on later levels.

- not clear if nunchuks are better than death scye - I'm assuming +6 and +8 means on the to hit rolls?

- arrow code gets messed up if you are standing right beside a critter (flies past me through a wall).

- found a door that went into a wall.

- water boots are really cool except I never found anything on the water

- interface to buy multiple potions at once would be handy

OK, fully stocked up, I'm off to level 6!

simonoc
01-16-2008, 04:59 AM
More lunchtime feedback:

* The plants are hard for level 1, if you want to keep them then change their rate of fire or make them miss more often. I had a level 1 with 6 of them. Monsters should be more balanced towards levels.

For example:
Lvl 1 - 20% plants, 60% rabbits.
Lvl 2 - 40% plants, 40% rabbits.

* Plants should have gold on them, lots of damage, they guard areas and no reward.

* Creature swap over between levels seems harsh. I was expecting some of the creatures in from level 1 at the beginning of level 2. I imagined a gradual swap over. It seems you have different enemies per level.

* The creatures all seem the same level? Are there harder versions?

* Once level has been cleared, no reason to go back. If on level 2 and exit, could it offer a choice to go back to previous level or town?

* Ummm 75g for a town portal scroll feels too expensive

* Had a chest block the entrance to a corridor, could only get past it if I went diagonal with the mouse.

Sims

GrimFinger
01-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I tried the game a couple of times, just now.

I couldn't get my guy to attack anything, and so tended to die rather quickly.

Both graphics and sounds I give a thumbs down to. Beyond that, the opening map/location lacked enough interest to justify to myself bothering with playing, again.

JoshuaSmyth
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for trying out the game, I've made a big .txt file with all the feedback and will try to work in any changes that I need to make in a reasonable way.

Sorry not to address every bit of feedback (but thank you to you all) I'll just mention what seem to be common themes in the responses.

Concerning the difficulty - it's a little hard to judge because some people have found it too easy, some too hard, some just right... etc.. I might just bump up the number of xp you get from killing monsters so that you level up a bit quicker, that should make the game a bit easier without radically changing the game.

A couple of people have suggested respawning on levels. The funny thing is monsters do respawn when you go up/down stairs if the total number of enemies on a level is less than some threshold, they just don't appear in any great numbers, maybe I should increase that number so it's a little more interesting going back to town.

Alternatively I have no problems with adding an 'elevator' on every level - who needs realism :)

You can move diagonally with the numpad or mouse. I should probably work out a way to do it by holding down two arrow keys at once - It's just java applets have a horrible eventing system for input. I'll work something out though :)

Both graphics and sounds I give a thumbs down to. Beyond that, the opening map/location lacked enough interest to justify to myself bothering with playing, again.

That's ok, I don't expect everyone to like it or even get it. The funny thing is that it seems to resonate well with certain people and I've found that quite rewarding. So each to their own I suppose :)