PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Poker -MAC Build needs feedback

Cartman
12-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi all,

Iím in need of some quick testing of my Mac build of my Pirate Poker Game. This is the first time Iíve released a Mac build, so I need some help.

If you have the time, could you click on the Free Demo link under the Mac build of Pirate Poker? You can find the link here (http://www.piddlepup.com/node/51).

What Iím looking for:

1. Does the program install and run on you Mac? PPC and Intel. Please let me know what machine you have and how it worked for you.
2. Any comments from people who develop for or use Mac software about how the distribution was done would be helpful.
a. Was the packaging what you expected?
b. Anything missing that you would have done?
3. Any other feedback you have about the games packaging and distribution would be helpful.
4. Also, I donít have an Intel Mac, so I canít test the performance on it. Can someone give me some feedback as to how it runs on an Intel?

Thanks for everyoneís help.

-Keith

Fastestmanintheworld
12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
1. Does the program install and run on you Mac? PPC and Intel. Please let me know what machine you have and how it worked for you.

Worked fine on my iBook 1.25g PPC G4. Ran smoothly. HTH

Duncan

barrygamer
12-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Mac Mini Intel core solo 1.5Ghz, 10.4.8, 512 MB, intel950 graphics.

First point, the installer works fine, which is the main thing! My personal preference, however, is for a simple drag n drop '.app' directly from the mounted image.
Ideally your installer would open a finder window on the installed location.

2 issues with the game:

Loading times were rather long throughout the game. e.g. after your pup logo theres a black screen pause for ~8 seconds. Leaving the options or help screens also gives a ~8 second pause, where the mouse won't move. During the game there are similar pauses, sometimes slightly shorter but very noticeable. This could be my rubbish slow mac; game was using 70-90% cpu, 100MB ram. EDIT: Ok, I see its running under rosetta, I guess its just not quite fast enough. Other games using rosetta are usually a bit slow on this mac.

Crash in full-screen mode:

I decided to change to full screen mode. This worked fine, but when I exit the app and try to start it again it crashes (with no error messages at all, oddly) after the Loading bar reaches the top. I never get the chance to click to continue, it always bails out there. I don't see that 'demo' dialog box, perhaps its related to that?

barrygamer
12-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Oh, and another thing: the installer does not work under a non-admin account, it gives an error, presumably because it can't write to Applications folder (no way to change location?).

Also related to non-admin write access: I didn't test this, but you may have a problem storing the prefs (.ini) and profiles in the application folder, rather than the user's personal 'Preferences' or 'Application Support' folder.

Grey Alien
12-20-2007, 01:56 PM
CartMan: The latest version of my framework has full support for a single icon containing all the data which can be dragged from (or even ran inside) the dmg, and it stored all dynamic data in users/shared. you'll have this tomrrow with any luck!

Cartman
12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Great feedback everyone. This is all very helpful.

Thanks Grey, I'm looking forward to the new version.

lennard
12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
The screenshots look great. I'm wondering how it does for you. I play a lot of online poker which is free to get started and you can even play freerolls for cash (how I got my cash stake...). I have sold a few PokerStars as an affiliate but I'm curious why people buy games when they can play for free and if you hav3e any insight on the topic.

Also, if you have an affiliate program (or better yet if you are going to be on Reflexive) then I would be happy to carry your game in the poker section of the Rusty Axe website and see how it does there.

Best of luck,

Cartman
12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks Lennard. If anyone is interested in being an affiliate, please PM me and I'll send you the information. I'm working on a special percentage rate for Indie Gamer members since I appreciate all the feedback and support I've received here.

And keep the feedback on the Mac version coming.

Thanks again and happy holidays.