PDA

View Full Version : ShockBall

Grandy
12-17-2007, 04:04 AM
Hi,

I've been working on this game for six months and I recently released beta version because I really need some feedback about gameplay, bugs, performance, improvements... before final release.

ShockBall is 3D turn based arcade game, clone of old Xeno (ZX spectrum). In-game tutorial explains rules of the game and teaches you how to play. You can compete against computer AI or another player over network.

Requirements: Windows PC,
DirectX 9 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en) and .NET Framework (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en) installed and graphics card with Pixel shader 2.0 support.

http://freeweb.siol.net/bgrandov/Images/ShockBall_9.jpg

Download (http://cid-b8fb21a58ad412bf.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/ShockBall_Setup.exe?wa=wsignin1.0)
Website (http://freeweb.siol.net/bgrandov/)

What is your oppinion about this game?

ZeHa
12-17-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm in a hurry right now, so I can't play it, but let me say that the screenshot looks great. It's got very simple textures, of course, but somehow it immediately got me into a good mood, it's got a very atmospheric overall-look. Despite the simple textures. Maybe they aren't so simple after all ;)

I'll try it definitely when I'm at home...

ChrisP
12-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I dunno. It looks a bit gloomy to me. With a name like ShockBall I'd expect glowing things and lightning sparks and other pretty particle effects. Maybe a bit of bloom effect.

ZeHa
12-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Okay now I tried it and was a bit disappointed. The screenshot appealed to me very much, as I already told you. Then, the menu music really kicked some ass, a cool, tension-generating electro 303 tune that gets you into the right mood. The menu was kinda cool, though a bit too much, but anyway, I was really looking forward to an exciting game.

I expected something very fast with lots of action, just because of the screenshot. I guess I overlooked "turn based" ;)
So, the game begun. The music stopped. I was able to aim, so I thought "aha, some kind of snooker?", then I shot the ball, which was pretty slow, and while it was the opponent's turn, I didn't even see what he was doing (I'd have to turn the camera, but that shouldn't be necessary).

Well... maybe it's just not my kind of game, and maybe I just expected something completely else. But I didn't really like it, it was too slow and idle for me. The looks are cool though - simple textures, nothing too fancy, but that overall dark look and the neon lights had a very strong effect on me and it looks somehow surreal.

Grandy
12-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Well, I'm disappointed that you were disappointed, but this game isn't just another 5 minut pew pew eye candy. This game is hard and requires lots of practice, focus, good timing and strategy. You really should start with tutorial.

Grandy
12-20-2007, 01:39 AM
double post

ZeHa
12-20-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't doubt that it's a hard-to-master game, I just said it's not my cup of tea. I don't want to say that it's a bad game, it may be good, but it's just not what I expected from the screenshot :D and that's why I was disappointed - so don't understand this as a "bad review" or something, maybe I'm just not the right person to review it. But okay, I think I'll give it another try, maybe it can grow on me.

dopeman
12-20-2007, 06:36 AM
this game isn't just another 5 minut pew pew eye candy. This game is hard and requires lots of practice, focus, good timing and strategy. You really should start with tutorial.
In my opinion, you should never NEED TO explain what your game's strenghts are. It should be self-evident. I'm kind of busy at the moment, but I might check out your game later on. Anyways, good luck with the project.

ZeHa
12-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Okay, now I gave it another try, but still, it's too boring for me and it just didn't get me excited in any way. The balls are moving so slowly, it's a pain to "navigate" the ball towards the goal. When you're near the goal, the computer opponent just bumps it off a bit again. Then you bump it towards the goal again. And so on, and so on. It's like billard when there's just the black ball left, only with the difference that it's much slower.

I played about 15 minutes. After 13 minutes, the computer managed to get a goal at last. I found it very boring, really. Also, there's no point in controlling the strength of your hit, because I'm always using full power (the computer seems to do that, too), but it's never enough, you really pray that the ball will get far enough. It always feels like full power isn't even half power.

I don't want to be so negative about it, but really, I couldn't find anything exciting about the game, it just got me bored. Then I downloaded the original Xeno and tried it with my C64 emulator. While I didn't manage to figure out how to control the units, I quickly noticed that it's a lot faster.

Grandy
12-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Final release is now available for download: gameplay has been improved, game is much faster and exciting. I also changed few models and added some effects, music...

Enjoy