PDA

View Full Version : BubbleWorld

BiboGames
12-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Hello everyone,

this is my first post and is a feedback request.

I just released a game called BubbleWorld.

I really need some feedback on the overall quality and potential of the game.

It's a simple game, what here is called "super casual", but I like to think that is a good mix of 3 genre: Hidden Objects, Match N, and Click Management!

Screenshot

http://www.bibogames.com/images/index_16.jpghttp://www.bibogames.com/images/index_20.jpg
http://www.bibogames.com/images/index_21.jpghttp://www.bibogames.com/images/index_22.jpg

Download

http://www.bibogames.com/bubbleworld.exe

Website

http://www.bibogames.com/

Thank you very much for your help.

Marco

jimflip
12-11-2007, 02:22 AM
Not played it but the art looks excellant, who did the art?

BiboGames
12-11-2007, 02:31 AM
Not played it but the art looks excellant, who did the art?

Many artists contributed on this game. All the artists are on the credits ;)

Some of the art was made by myself.

Thanks

Desktop Gaming
12-11-2007, 02:41 AM
Looks nice enough but I don't care much for the japanese art style (in general, not just yours!). There is something disturbingly perverse about their apparent obsession with pre-adolescent girls in sailor costumes...

ulfster
12-11-2007, 03:20 AM
yep i agree with desktop gaming, if i had a child and would decide to spend money on a game for the child i wouldnt buy your game because of the fact that this half naked schoolgirl is in the menu and when you finish a stage.

i know shes not naked but for me it looks kind of strange, other than that i totally love the cute style with the animals in the bubbles!

i think it depends where you want to sell your game in the asian area you might get more sales with this girl, if you plan to sell in the western world i would replace that girl with a big teddy bear ;)

greetings

BiboGames
12-11-2007, 03:28 AM
yep i agree with desktop gaming, if i had a child and would decide to spend money on a game for the child i wouldnt buy your game because of the fact that this half naked schoolgirl is in the menu and when you finish a stage.

Interesting point of view... anyway I hope that this kind of game will appeal a more wide audience, not only kids (I mean the classical casual game audience).

Thank you
Marco

barrygamer
12-11-2007, 03:40 AM
Hi
I'm in general agreement with the points already made.
The graphics are beautiful, and the game plays nicely. However, to me this feels 100% a kid's game (mostly due to the graphics style and simplicity of gameplay) -- I wonder if you should aim totally for that market?

BiboGames
12-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Hi
I'm in general agreement with the points already made.
The graphics are beautiful, and the game plays nicely. However, to me this feels 100% a kid's game (mostly due to the graphics style and simplicity of gameplay) -- I wonder if you should aim totally for that market?

I know that the gameplay is very simple... in the early levels, so you could think that is a very easy game, but in the advanced levels you need a good skill to reach the end of the level succesfully. I hope this mean that even an adult can approach the game and then become addicted :)

Thank you

Marco

oNyx
12-11-2007, 04:39 AM
That girl in the options menu is a carbon copy of Ink-chan from Moetan (もえたん). It's not just similar... it's 100% identical.

You should get rid of that either way.

BiboGames
12-11-2007, 04:51 AM
That girl in the options menu is a carbon copy of Ink-chan from Moetan (もえたん). It's not just similar... it's 100% identical.

You should get rid of that either way.

Thank you for advice that! I bought the main character from a royalties free stock site... this mean that the author ripped the stock images site as well. :(
Or maybe the character is really royalties free... anyway I will do more investigation....

Marco

oNyx
12-11-2007, 04:58 AM
It certainly isn't royalty free. It's the main character of some learning English franchise with learning programs and animes. Check the Moetan Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moetan) for details.

At least you should be able to get your money back.

jcottier
12-11-2007, 05:00 AM
Very nice artwork.

Get rid of the girl: too suggestive for casual market. If you didn't get this by now... ;-)

I hardly notice the flashing bubbles (before they explode) and most of the time I just heard them breaking. This is bad, it doesn't fell fair and didn't give me any pressure. You should make them flash red and probably add some kind of beep going faster and faster... Something that make me think, that I have to solve this bubble asap.

The gameplay is simple and interesting at the beginning... but you don't have any variation from it. This is getting too boring too soon.

I played the demo for something that felt like ten minutes... and the game close. Did I see all of it? If yes, then it is because the full game is probably too short. (same point as before about the unique gameplay mechanic).

Firefox tried to open but it fail... so I am guessing you are trying to acces the net. Bad luck, it felt like a crash bug and I dind't see your BUY now page. FireFox must have been stop by my antivirus/spyware tool.... To fix, this problem, you should have an html in your install folder and open this page instead.. with link to your online buy now. (I had the same problem with my games and this is fixing it).

JC

BiboGames
12-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Very nice artwork.

Get rid of the girl: too suggestive for casual market. If you didn't get this by now... ;-)

I hardly notice the flashing bubbles (before they explode) [...]

The gameplay is simple and interesting at the beginning... but you don't have any variation from it. This is getting too boring too soon.

I played the demo for something that felt like ten minutes... [...]

Firefox tried to open but it fail... [...]
JC

Thank you for all those suggestion!

I will get rid of the girl as soon as possible :o

Maybe you are right and the flashing bubble must be more evident and maybe I have to add also a sound but I don't want that this sound become too disturbing when too many bubbles flash.

The full game have over 70 levels and you saw the first 18 level (i think) because there is a double demo limit (the other is a 60 minute timeout).

I already try to open a local html page so I don't know why you got that error... maybe something related to Firefox or some protection you have on your PC (do you have Vista?).

Thank you again.

Marco

jcottier
12-11-2007, 05:27 AM
I am on XP. Firefox complained about something named (c)
... if this can help... looks like a copyright symbol.

My PC is protected but I can run my demo and display the html properly using a line like this:

ShellExecute(NULL, TEXT("open"), mess.c_str(), NULL, NULL,SW_SHOWNORMAL);

About the sound.. don't play it immediately but wait when the bubble is about to blow. The red flashing should be from the start and speed up to stay red all the time when close to blow.

JC

joshg
12-11-2007, 08:29 AM
I agree, the anime girl was too suggestive. But since she's apparently also a possible IP infringement I guess she's on the way out anyway.

The gameplay really, really felt like it should be targeted at kids. The visual and audio feedback was great, really polished and responsive as a good casual game should be, but the gameplay still felt too simple for even the casual market. Yes, it might get harder as you go, but you're still just matching pairs of images. Adding an arbitrary time limit adds challenge but all you're really doing is making people click things faster, not think any harder. And you can't avoid the fact that finding matching images in a visible set is one of those early learning tasks that are going to be associated with preschool development, no matter how much you dress it up.

The visuals themselves definitely looked like they were aimed at kids as well (teddy bears and cute animals, as well as the anime girl).

I don't think you should see this as a problem - just aim it at kids. I'm not a marketer but I seem to recall surveys showing that parents often play casual games with their kids. So going through casual channels may still work, just know that you're directing it at parents of little kids. (Although I have no direct experience there so ask around first.)

If you do aim it at kids, I think the anime look is perfectly acceptable as well. The girl in your game could use more clothing but other than that she was cute and perfect for that audience, I'd say.

p.s. I also had the firefox error, which said something about not knowing how to handle the "c" protocol. Which means you probably passed it an URL string like this:

"C:\BubbleWorld\Whatever.html"

when it should look like this:

"file:///C:/BubbleWorld/Whatever.html"

dma
12-11-2007, 08:39 AM
That's odd, I didn't see the anime girl as being suggestive at all. She just looked like a little 9-year old girl to me. Didn't do a thing for me, but since I'm not attracted to little girls, I guess that's to be expected.

Now if it was a woman in her early 20s with the typical Lara Croft outfit and build, maybe we'd have something to talk about... but even then, I think there is way too much craziness about SEX in the first place. Violence is okay, but sex? Eh. Tired subject.

joshg
12-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Geez, she didn't "do anything for me" either, I just thought it was odd that she wasn't wearing pants or a skirt at least.

:P

And neither violence or sex are really strong sellers in the casual market, last time I checked.

dma
12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Geez, she didn't "do anything for me" either, I just thought it was odd that she wasn't wearing pants or a skirt at least.

*Heh*, yeah, maybe that was the wrong choice of words. Didn't mean to imply that anyone who thought it was suggestive found her "attractive" as well.

In any event, Donald Duck and Porky Pig go pantless too and they seem to be getting along okay... but this little girl actually looks to be wearing some sort of hybrid skirt/panty combination... on second thought, I'm actually very shocked now. :rolleyes:

BiboGames
12-11-2007, 09:16 AM

:P

And neither violence or sex are really strong sellers in the casual market, last time I checked.

Anyway the girls was removed due to IP problem.

Now a new little fairy is the main Character :)

Marco

BiboGames
12-12-2007, 01:07 AM
[...] You should make them flash red and probably add some kind of beep going faster and faster... Something that make me think, that I have to solve this bubble asap.[...]

Firefox tried to open but it fail... [...]
JC

Hi Jcottier,

I just modified the game according your suggestions.
Also I think the Firefox problem was solved.

Thank you.

Marco

Mikademus
12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
maybe I have to add also a sound but I don't want that this sound become too disturbing when too many bubbles flash.
Given your theme, I think you could get around this by using harp tones as sound, use different tones for every bubble. These, when several play at the same time, will sound like harp chords and arpeggios, and will contribute to the mood rather than annoy.

BiboGames
12-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Given your theme, I think you could get around this by using harp tones as sound, use different tones for every bubble. These, when several play at the same time, will sound like harp chords and arpeggios, and will contribute to the mood rather than annoy.

Thank you Mikademus, I'll try this.

Marco

AnthemAudio
12-13-2007, 01:45 PM
The music doesn't fit here at all. It's too "rockin" for both the mechanics and the art direction. The win screen sounds like Monday Night Football, it sounds like a win screen, but for something else entirely.

Good sounding music sure, but not really fitting imo.

You got a fairy? You need fairy style music. Whimsical, cute, cheery, slightly ethereal. Memorable yet non-obtrusive.

BiboGames
12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
The music doesn't fit here at all. It's too "rockin" for both the mechanics and the art direction. The win screen sounds like Monday Night Football, it sounds like a win screen, but for something else entirely.

Good sounding music sure, but not really fitting imo.

You got a fairy? You need fairy style music. Whimsical, cute, cheery, slightly ethereal. Memorable yet non-obtrusive.

Probably you're right, I'm not sure that I made the right choice of music. Anyway I tried with more cute music, for children, but in the end I chose these kind of music to give the game the right pace.

Thank you

Marco