PDA

View Full Version : Mole playable demo theme one

Dyno Kid
11-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Hi guys, I have a playable 19 lvls for my upcoming game "Mole" due out in approx 7 years:P (feels like that anyway lol)

MoleDemo (http://www.utopiangames.co.uk/mole.zip)

You will need to pop the folder "Mole_Beta" onto you desktop and then click on exe file inside folder to play (you wont be able to play it inside the zip folder)

Main feedback im after is "does it load ok, any freezes or slowdown?"

How easy/hard is it?

There is a lot of work to do and things i know about include,

Image_alphas for score, timer, exit, pause ect need redoing as a little green is bleeding through around edges.

Front end programming is all in with save/load but needs a nice big picture of mole and some cute buttons.

Witch scene is just a green screen with simple text, the final version will have a cool witch stoat with a smoky castle room and a cauldren and crystal ball to see what moles up to and also have moles girl in the background in a cage.

Evening stage still needs work.

Lights, camera, action will be changed to rdy steady go or 3 2 1 go.

Anyway a few pics so you know what to expect:P

screen1 (http://www.utopiangames.co.uk/images/misty_morning.png)

screen2 (http://www.utopiangames.co.uk/images/daytime.png)

screen3 (http://www.utopiangames.co.uk/images/night.png)

Thanks for looking,

Darren.

DayDream
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
I just looked at the screenshots and the GUI really stands out like a sore to me. Why do you ruin a nice game screen with the huge gui? Is the game intended for the visually challenged?

Dyno Kid
11-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Is the game intended for the visually challenged?

No it's not but that's why I'm asking for feedback to see others point of view and suggestions.

Thank you for having a look and leaving (very limited) feedback:P

Darren.

lennard
11-30-2007, 03:55 PM
I'd drop the bottom stuff and bring up a dialog if they press ESC. The large score stuff doesn't seem to get in the way of the game play.

The graphics aren't working for me - even as a kids game I think they still need to come up in polish a bit.

Dyno Kid
11-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks Lennard,

Yeah i never really thought of it as a kids game, when i set out to make this i had the casual audience in mind, well a wide target audience anyway:P btw did you play some of the later lvls as it gets a little tricky later on.

It's very hard when you've been playing the same lvls over and over testing/tweaking to judge the difficulty and i could probably do 1-20 with my eye shut now so i would really like feedback on the difficulty curve etc.

Regards,

Darren.

luggage
11-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I've just given it a quick try. Here's my thoughts...

* I like the art style, it has a nice Pocoyo feel to it.
* I'd remove the menu buttons at the button and replace them with one smaller button that you can click to bring them up.
* Have Escape bring the pause menu up rather than quit.
* I'd also shrink down the hud stuff at the top a bit - they're a bit too big at the moment and overpower things.
* The music is ok but it gets a little annoying after a while. Could do with a few more tracks to keep things varied. And it's also a bit jarring when it restarts - it doesn't loop too well.
* There was a level that gave me 10 seconds but it didn't seem to work or I didn't know what to do. The mole just wouldn't budge.
* One of the levels had a kind of gradient over it - can't remember which one but it was a little too strong. Could do with making it a little more subtle.
* I didn't realise that restarting would cost a life.
* The hiscore stuff should really be done using your ingame stuff rather than popping up what looks like a windows dialog.

It's coming along nicely though. Keep up the good work!

Dyno Kid
11-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback:)

Yeah as its a race against the clock i wanted to let players quickly restart a lvl if they realise there going to run out of time thats why i have a restart button at the bottom (good point about telling player it will cost them a life if they use it)

The pause is quickly accessable too and it auto saves when you press exit and goes to main menu, again things the player should know in advance.

Ahh the 10 second time limit is at the end of every day time change (5 lvls)its a mini bonus lvl really and you have 10 seconds to set up the arrows to get mole to the bonus, this will be explained better in the witch scene in the final version.

Music will be differnt in final version but i thought it was better to listen to "something" than nothing:P

Thanks,

Darren.

Bmc
11-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I like the art , but I agree about the GUI being too big. I'd get rid of the bottom stuff and move it a dialog that pops up when Esc is pressed.

ZeHa
12-01-2007, 03:50 AM
I think the graphics are interesting, not my style, but definitely unique. I think the mole's zombie eyes are a bit cruel, though ;)

The game got me bored pretty soon, there is no real challenge. You just switch some arrows and see the mole collecting hearts. I think I played the first 10 levels or so, and there were too few interesting elements. When an arrow points out of the way, the mole simply stops. Why not let him walk into water, traps or some other threats? That way, it would be a little bit more difficult. At the moment it's way too easy. Maybe the later levels are better (didn't see them of course), but then you should increase the difficulty faster in my opinion. If you have things like traps or something, place one already in the second level.

Dyno Kid
12-01-2007, 04:26 AM
Thanks Zeha,

Yes the 1st 5 lvls are pretty straight forward, then you have "stuck in the mud arrows" (that cant be moved) for the next 5 lvls. After this i guessed you quit but you have "Black hearts" if you go off course like the traps you mentioned and they reduce your time by 5 seconds for everyone you hit.

Then the last 5 lvls for theme one you have mud and black hearts and also the arrows are all mixed up so some arrows would face up and others left right and down, this makes it a little more tricky.

Thanks for the feedback and the traps idea.

Regards,

Darren.

ZeHa
12-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Okay, so that might mean that you'd have to reduce your first 20 levels to 4 levels :D

Seriously, I think the "learn curve" or whatever you tried to achieve by spreading those basic elements on the game over so many levels should drastically be sharpened. I think it's no problem to introduce a new kind of nastity in every other level. That way the player knows the most important elements in a very short time and he can start to play the "real" levels.

At first, I thought it might be indeed a kid's game, so of course I'd understand that you would like to make it a bit easier, but as you said it's a normal casual audience game, there's no need for being over-easy. And even if it was a plain kids game, it might still be too easy ;)

Good luck with the game, I think it's not really different from Dyno Kid, but it looks much more polished (at least after you changed the music :D ).

Slackluster
02-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I like what you have so far, visually it looks cool you really just need more depth. With only one active moving creature the primary game mechanic is being wasted because all the arrows are synced in rotation but that really doesn't really effect anything if there is only one moving thing that follows them. So my advice is to add more moles or add enemies that also follow the arrows so you have to avoid them. As it stands it's way too easy, you say the difficulty eventually ramps up but I just don't see that happening much.