PDA

View Full Version : My first game: An easter themed puzzle game

DerR
10-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Hi guys!

First of all I want to introduce myself since it's my first post. :) My name is Oliver and I'm a student from Germany. I haven't been making games seriously for a time but I never wanted to quit for good. I have found and read this forum for a while now and I finally wanted to make my appearance and stop standing at the side looking at others who are actually getting a game done.

Lately I have been working on a small puzzle type game in my spare time. With that project I want to prove myself that I can actually stick to a game until it is released and look after it after the release.

Currently it looks like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2093/1757079420_ea6562d75a_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/1695160680_0d5e24cd88_o.jpg

The game works like this: You can shift a block left/right if there is nothing in the way. If there is nothing under the block it falls down. Blocks disappear when 2 or more are touching and the game is won if you removed all blocks in the level.

The game is being developed using C++ and the PopCap framework.

I know it's still a long way to go but I'd be more than happy for some honest feedback and opinions! :)

Oliver

papillon
10-30-2007, 06:39 AM
When I first saw a hint of screenshot, without having scrolled to see it all yet, I thought it was ON FIRE - that is, I thought it was a fire theme rather than an easter theme, with the red blocks and the strong yellows of the background. The colors really overwhelm the content, to me.

lennard
10-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Same for me. I don't think it's far off the mark - clean up the icons a little bit and try a few things for the background to mute it out more (or try different photo's).

lakibuk
10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
The game works like this: You can shift a block left/right if there is nothing in the way. If there is nothing under the block it falls down. Blocks disappear when 2 or more are touching and the game is won if you removed all blocks in the level.
Sounds like Puzznic. Take a look at Blox Forever, that's another clone of Puzznic.

DerR
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the feedback! :) Feels great to finally be out of the "vacuum" and have people other than friends comment on the work.

I kind of thought that the obstacle-blocks are too colorful myself and I'm tweaking that right now aswell as trying out simpler backgrounds that are not based on photographs. It's amazing how much work such a simple game can cause.

laikibuk: Thanks for pointing me to those games. I haven't seen games like that in a while.. actually I decided to make mine after playing the old game "Brix" on DOSBox. :)